background

Monday, November 19, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie



Hmm, and what could I make with all that pie crust?
Fill it with savory goodness I suppose!

This meal inspired the other two girls in my family to make a pie for their loved ones. What better way to say "I love you" than make pie? At least I was raised that pie equals the greatest love. I mean, pie is served on only the special, family holidays... which is now every holiday... every holiday plus when it sounds really good... who would ever want to limit it to a few days of the year?... we make pie a lot.

That just must mean we love a lot.

Anyway, I adapted this recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything and when I went back to find it again her site was down. I got scared because I love her blog and I hadn't written this recipe down yet! I thought I lost it forever. I waited three days and three nights and checked the site again. It was back up! Yay!! Then I felt reassured and waited until now to type it out... 

Ingredients:
2 unbaked pie crusts, rolled out
1 pound boneless chicken breast halves, cubed
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
32 oz carton of organic chicken broth (reserving 1 3/4 cups after boil)
2/3 cup milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425.
Place one of the pie crust in the bottom of pie dish, poke holes in bottom and crimp edges. Bake for about 6 minutes.
In a pot, combine carrots, peas, chicken, celery, and chicken broth. Bring it to a boil and cover for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Reserve 1 3/4 cups chicken broth and drain the rest of the liquid. In a saucepan, melt the butter and add the onions, cooking until translucent. Add the flour, salt, and pepper. Slowly stir in the milk and the reserved chicken broth. Stir until thick and creamy on medium-high heat. Add the mixture to your chicken and vegetables. If desired, you can add more chicken broth if you like your pot pies more runny. 
Place your filling in the bottom shell and cover with your other prepared crust. Seal and cut away the excess crust. Poke vents on the top to allow steam to escape. Place in 425 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. 
Allow to cool for 10 minutes before enjoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment