background

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Blue Ribbon Pie Crust

Wow, have I been slacking. My bad, sorry. I could list all of my excuses but it doesn't change the fact that I should have posted something, anything, sooner! Ha, all well. At least now I'm going to put on my mother's deliciously incredible pie crust recipe. Your welcome.
Ingredients:
5 cups AP flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups shortening
1 tsp vinegar
1 egg

Directions: *Prepare ice water first, at least a cup of water  with ice

Combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter until it resembles cornmeal (this takes a little while and to make good crust you really have to work it). 
In a liquid measuring cup, beat the egg and vinegar. Pour ice water up to the 1 cup mark. Stir and add to flour mixture. Combine just enough to form a ball, it will be soft and sticky.

If you need a pre-baked crust, make vents with a fork at the bottom of crust, preheat oven to 425 and bake for 6 minutes with foil at the bottom. Remove the foil and bake 6 more minutes. 
To save, I wrap in wax paper and either freeze or it can rest in the refrigerator for a couple of days. 

This recipe makes 3-4 pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment