background

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Naan, Flatbread

If there's one thing that I love, it's bread. The soft, yummy carbohydrate will happily fill me up before I spend time eating an actual meal. If anyone is like me, it can be dangerous, but I'm not about to let carbs go. Instead, I make as much as I can of it in my very own kitchen.

Hello, naan.

I've made this recipe seven time in the past two weeks and I'm not about to stop. This bread is perfect to eat plain, dipped in a vinaigrette, or as a wrap. Mmm.
 
I found this recipe on Mel's Kitchen Cafe and oh how pleased I am with it.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup milk
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
3-4 cups flour 
olive oil (optional)

Directions:
Measure out the milk and heat until warm to the touch (about 110 degrees F). Mix the sugar and yeast into the milk and let it sit for 4-5 minutes until the mixture is foamy, this means the yeast is activated. Once the yeast, milk, and sugar mixture is foamy, pour the mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer and add the salt and 2 1/2 cups of the flour. 
Mix well to combine. Continue adding flour gradually in small amounts, until a soft dough is formed that cleans the sides of the bowl. Knead the dough by mixer or hand until it is smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes in the mixer
Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and let it rest at room temperature, covered lightly with greased plastic wrap, for about 2 hours.
Divide the dough into 12 equal sized balls on a floured surface and let them rise, covered with a towel, for 30 minutes. 
As the dough rests, either preheat an oven to 50o degrees to use a pizza stone, heat a grill, or heat your griddle to it's highest setting (I used a griddle).
Roll each piece of dough into a 6-8 inch circle and bake 2-4 minutes or until brown spots appear on top. I like to sprinkle olive oil over my griddle before laying the dough down. Serve warm or cooled.


No comments:

Post a Comment